8 Most Important Things You Will Need to Consider When You Decide to Launch a Website
8 Most Important Things You Will Need to Consider When You Decide to Launch a Website to Build Your Online Presence
Domain Name – You will need to think of a catchy and relevant domain name (website address) for your business, venture, hobby, blog, etc…
If your Web Designer/Developer is going to include the domain registration in their package deal, be sure to check out the availability of your desired domain name prior to requesting it so you know that it is one you can use.
Often times, you may really like a .com domain name that is not available. When this happens, you may want to consider choosing a different domain extension to go with your name (i.e. extensions such as: .io, .website, .club, etc….).
Checking your preferred website domain name ahead of time will also give you a good indication as to whether or not it will be a standard, semi-premium, or premium domain purchase.
I design websites and include a standard domain registration with most of my web design packages, in addition to hosting. I use NameCheap, which has a domain address lookup function here: https://www.namecheap.com/domains.aspx
Business Email Address – Decide on whether or not you will want to purchase a professional Business Email address to match your domain.
The most common formats for this, for example, are:
Obviously, you would just replace the basic elements in the examples above, with your own information, or you can simply select a completely different prefix to your professional domain email address (i.e. such as #####@yourdomain.com).
Most of my web design packages come standard with at least one (1) free professional business email included (some with more than one).
DIY or Hire a Web Designer/Developer – Determine if you want to go DIY and build the website yourself or if you want to hire a Web Designer or Web Developer.
Choosing to go DIY and build yourself can be self-rewarding as a result of the challenge, but you may not always have the time or patience to dedicate to this type of project. Keep in mind that you may also have restrictions on what you can add to your website if using ‘FREE Web Design’ builders as far as design and content. You may also have to pay a monthly subscription fee, and be limited to what domain address format you can use. When choosing to use a ‘FREE Web Design’ builder platform, you will often be faced to use their website domain extension instead of one that you desire (count out the option of .com, .io, .net, etc…).
Example may look something like this: https:/yourwebsitename.theproviderhostname.com
I have used these free web design builder platforms in my earlier days, and they are good to use for those who find pleasure in building themselves; however, I quickly became bored and frustrated with the restrictive environment presented to me for MY business website.
As I am a Freelance Web Designer, I enjoy helping people just like YOU, in designing your business website and can do so for an affordable price with an outstanding outcome!
- Website Hosting – Decide who you will want to handle your website hosting. There are many different types of website hosting you can choose from:
- Shared Hosting – Web hosting service where many websites reside on one web server connected to the Internet.
- VPS Hosting – A virtual private server is a virtual machine sold as a service by an Internet hosting service.
- Dedicated Hosting – A dedicated hosting service, dedicated server, or managed hosting service is a type of Internet hosting in which the client leases an entire server not shared with anyone else.
- Free Hosting – This category will include your website building sites if you choose to DIY and build your own website.
I include Shared Hosting with most of my web design packages as a standard element.
- Website Design or Template – You have a few options for this.
- Use a Website Builder Template Design when choosing to go DIY
- Purchase a pre-made Website Template Design from sites such as Envato, Themeforest, etcetera. This option is usually pretty affordable for someone not afraid to spend a little on their website design template. Pricing can range anywhere from Free – $$ in typical circumstances. (of course, you get what you pay for usually)
- Hire a Web Designer to make your website magic happen! In my personal opinion, I think Web Designers are more creative and artistic and tend to have more wiggle room for your ‘special touch’ requests and interactions. Of course, I am a Web Designer so I do have some bias in this opinion. J
Web Designers do use, and must have, basic and functional programming knowledge to be effective in delivering creative results; however, they do not typically rely on heavy code writing to get the job done.
This does not mean that your website will be any less beautiful and professional than that of someone who does code from the bottom up in its’ entirety. It is simply a more desirable choice for websites that do not require a complex build out with an extreme mega menu. (i.e. large corporations, tech giants, etc…)
Web Designers are 3rd in line when it comes to price, typically. $$ – $$$
- Hire a Web Developer to build out your website from the bottom up, using extensive coding. Web Developers tend to be more analytical in every sense, thus, have the know-how and patience to deliver outstanding code writing for the larger projects that may require this.
I am extremely analytical, but choose to classify myself as a Web Designer as I do not prefer to engage in complex coding.
Web Developers tend to be a bit more spendy than the other options. $$$$
- Professional Logo – Decide on what type of logo you want to symbolize your brand.
Logos are visually appealing. They leave a visual imprint in people’s memory bank, often times subliminal in its’ message saying ‘remember me when you need my services’. J
There are many different types of logo designs for you to choose from. There are Minimal Logos which are basic in general, Word Based Logos, Signature Logos, Watercolor Logos, Cartoon-Like Logos (mascot), Word/Picture Logos, and much much more!
- You can choose to DIY your logo with several logo design programs on the internet. Some are free and some have a small fee to remove their watermarks or other branding identifiers.
- You can hire a Freelance Graphic Designer, which are often times bundled in with other services of a Freelance Web Designer and have varying costs.
- You can hire a Graphic Designer through a business who specializes in Advanced Graphic Design for complex logo design, but will typically cost you a bit more.
- Pictures & Graphic Designs – What kind of pictures and imagery do you want to represent on your new website?
Of course, it is always most desirable to use your own personal photos to promote your services and your brand; however, you may not have quite the professional photo taking gear which will give you the look you desire for your website visitors.
In these situations, you may want to consider using stock photography. There are several platforms on the internet where you can download professional quality photos for free or for a cost. The free sites are often limited in your choice selection.
With most of my web design packages, I typically offer a healthy amount of FREE stock photos to help you out!
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) & Social Media/Online Marketing – Determine how you want to be visible on the internet.
These services are typically ‘extras’ when you hire a Web Designer/Developer to build out your website, and require some knowledge in each respective area to be effective.
Will you want to be listed in Google Business?
Do you want to have access to your Key Performance Metrics Results through Google Analytics? Identifying for you who is visiting your website, where they live, what times of day are they visiting, and whether or not they played any role in your overall bottom line increase??
Do you want Google to know that your website even exists, and be able to direct your potential customers/visitors/clients to the proper page? Thus, increasing your conversions, which in turn can potentially increase your profit margins?
Do you want to be found on the internet? On Social Media Platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and more??
Do you want your website to be fully optimized?
Do you need someone to do some basic or complex marketing on your behalf, to drive more customers/visitors/clients your way??
I do offer limited services, myself, in all of these areas. For the services I do not currently provide, I can refer you to a select few trusted associates. J
These are just the BASIC must-know elements when you decide that it is finally time for you to get your website up and running in our universal online World Wide Web. There is so much more that goes into designing and building a beautiful and functional website. J What I can share with you is that the end result of having your brand out there on the World Wide Web, is undeniably the MOST SATISFYING and motivating feeling ever! If you are a small business, entrepreneur, or even a hobbyist who just wants to be put on the map, this is a must have! Trust me when I tell you that your decision to get your website up and running will be a confidence booster and client converter.
I hope you enjoyed this simplified, yet lengthy, summary on what you will need to design your new website. If you gained value from this, please drop me a hashtag #value in the comments. If you would like more information on my web design or logo design services, feel free to comment below or send me a DM.